Recommend a book?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Dec 13 15:57:45 EST 2002

> I know its a big feature in python, but I would also like a book
that
> does not focus heavily on using python from the command line.   I
find
> that for me, all of those ">>>>" in the text examples obfuscates the
> material for me.

'Command line' usually refers the shell or operating system command
line.  But you appear to be refering to the Python interactive prompt.

The '>>>' and '...' prompts differentiate between what the user types
in and what Python prints back.  In text, they should indicate the
actual (rather than assumed or presumed) behavior of some version of
the interpreter cut-and-pasted into the text.  (Exceptions should be
labeled as hypothetical or simulated.)  But I agree its not elegant,
and inhibits cut and paste in the reverse direction.  So I have
occasionally posted unprefixed code with output prefixed with '#'.  In
any case, working interactively is a great way to learn. So I hope you
don't let the visual esthetics stop you.

Terry J. Reedy