web server options

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Dec 27 20:33:30 EST 2002

[posted & mailed]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, dsavitsk wrote:

> I have a DSL line, a Packard Bell P150/48MB running FreeBSD 4.7, and an itch
> to run a web server.  To that end, I am looking for suggestions on what web
> server to use, and perhaps experiences people may have had.
>
> The things that I need are, (1) the ability to run on the above hardware,
> (2) the ability to serve via python scripts, and (3) the ability to run 2
> distinct servers (i.e. www.foo.com and www.bar.com), both on port 80, on the
> same hardware (the server is behind a NAT box, and I am not sure what sort
> of complications this will bring to this one).

In addition to the other suggestions posted, you should check out:-
 - Xitami (includes Python support for its LRWP protocol);
 - Zope   (includes a web server, so you don't need another one).

I can't definitively answer about the virtual host support, but would be
most surprised if Zope doesn't support it; the commercial version may be
needed for virtual host support with Xitami (Xitami/Pro, US$99).

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia