piddlePDF, latin-1 characters

Syver Enstad syver-en+usenet at online.no
Sun Dec 8 14:19:32 EST 2002

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:

> What are you trying to do?

Print norwegian characters in a pdf. I have reportlab lying around,
but I decided to start with piddle as it seemed simpler, and it is
great for fooling around with graphics using piddleTK and then just
switching to piddlePDF when things works they way they should. It
seems that one of the reasons it's breaking down is because piddlePDF
uses the MacRomanEncoding instead of latin-1.

I really would like both reportlab and piddle to use unicode
characters but that doesn't seem to be possible for now. I'll see what
I find out experimenting a bit more and looking more closely at the
sources.

> I have never used piddle, but one of its
> authors, Andy Robinson, is CEO of Reportlab http://www.reportlab.com,
> the pdf company.  http://www.reportlab.com/toolkit/index.html has a
> user guide, which has a section on fonts and encoding which
> might help, but then again might not. I use platypus to generate
> invoices here, and they speak Swedish just fine ...

Yes I have noticed that reportlab does this somewhat better.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad