Wet Dream--python to native compiler

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:20:26 EST 2002

As someone else mentioned you need a lot of grad students or similarly
capable people.  And then...what platform do you want to target?  Many
universities now force linux on their scientific personnel so you are
not going to see a free open source compiler for the windows platform.

And is it even the right approach to compile to assembly?  History has
seen the development:
binary ->
assembly ->

This suggests we should compile to C instead of assembly.
Unfortunately the py2C project has failed because of lack of man- and
brainpower.  And there is the issue of deciding what libraries we
assume etc.

BTW, there *is* a free C compiler for every platform.

'''
In a five year period we can get one superb programming language.
Only
we can't control when the five year period will begin.
'''