Can't get a simple CGI script to print HTML - what am I doing wrong??

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Dec 17 17:23:38 EST 2002

Randy Burgess wrote:

> My hosting service, hostway.com, runs Python 1.5.1 on the server,
> which is
> Unix-based and I'm assuming is probably Apache. I can get some crude
> test
> scripts to work - for example, I can import cgi and run cgi.test() -
> but I
> can't get some other, equally crude scripts to print basic HTML. They
> run
> fine off the command line when I'm in a SSH session, but when I try to
> access them via browser, I get an "internal server error."

Look in the errors file for the Apache server.  There you will find
exactly what problem Apache is having.  When you're looking for a cause
to the problem, always go to the horse's mouth.

Ask your system administrator where the Apache error logs for your site
are if you don't already know.  If you already know where the access
logs are, you will likely find the error files are in the same directory
with an analogous name (e.g., errors_log or errors).

/  \ Sweetest moments passing you by / Live in the now and let go
\__/ Chante Moore
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.