Python

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Dec 29 22:15:27 EST 2002

    Erik> But his question was really about learning programming in the
    Erik> context of being an IT security expert.  In that context, beyond
    Erik> basic programming concepts, I don't think Python will be of much
    Erik> specific help.  Consider the number of buffer overrun exploits
    Erik> that exist in Python programs :-).

(I realize you were referring to Python code itself.  Still...)

The Python C code is more readable than most, so he should have an easier
time finding all those that exist in the C runtime. :-) It never ceases to
amaze me how many security alerts are due to buffer overrun exploits.  I
keep thinking, "Shouldn't they have found all of the buffer overruns in
Sendmail and MSIE by now?"  Damn hard task to track down.

    Erik> To the original poster: Becoming familiar with C, and the dangers
    Erik> of sloppy C programming and how these can be exploited by
    Erik> potential intruders, will probably be of much more direct
    Erik> application to your chosen career shift.

Correctamundo.

Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com
http://www.musi-cal.com/
http://www.mojam.com/