No Tkinter in Red Hat 8!?

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Thu Dec 5 13:43:04 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 16:52, Ivan J. wrote:
> After trying to emerge from windows into Linux I dodn't expect to
> discover Tkinter is not there, but I couldn't find it. Red Hat is not
> realy programmers paradise, is it or is it not? Anyhow, I think to
> download python source and make it under Red Hat 8, in hope that I
> will find Tkinter there, only thing is: I am not sure how. Will
> someone instruct me, or coment any of my incorect passed conclusions.
> Thanks.

It is always a good idea to try compiling Python yourself, however I
have RedHat 8 I installed all the 'Development' packages and I have
python 2.2.1 with Tkinter.  There are, according to the new package
management tool 45 'core' development tools (including python and perl)
perhaps this is what you are missing.

HTH
Martin