Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 18:43:33 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 08:06, Aaron K.Johnson wrote:
> In message <3E02E842.486B7239 at alcyone.com>, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> > "Aaron K. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > > Whatever. Go fuck Erik Naggum up the ass if you love him so much. You
> > > even
> > > sound like him, so I know you're an asshole, but at least he's
> > > original.
> >
> > This is not a good way to make friends in comp.lang.python.
>
> Do you think I care to make friends with people who insult before choosing to
> understand, or who question my ability to 'breathe by myself'?

I can understand this viewpoint and I do agree that Paul's response was
uncalled for.  That being said, resorting to puerile vulgarities* tends
to make you look bad rather than the person they were aimed at.  If you
must resort to such tactics, it's better to do it offlist.  A junior
high playground might be more appropriate (and you would undoubtedly be
perceived as 'cool' by the 7th graders for saying 'fuck').

> I'm not a christian, so I don't 'turn the other cheek'. Anyone who hits me gets
> hit back hard.

I don't see what being a christian has to do with anything.  I am not
religious by any definition and still try not to humiliate myself by
tossing around childish insults in public (* again).

Anyway, it is not uncommon for people new to the list to have some
sarcasm tossed their way and overreact.  I suspect that if you forget
about it and temper your future posts everyone else will as well.  As
for Paul, hopefully he'll learn how to express his surprise in a more
appropriate fashion so as to avoid offending people who know how to
swear.

> Tell him to be friendly! I have little patience for the Erik Naggum
> wannabe...I've already experienced the original.

*Unless they are fart jokes, which are irresistably funny to everyone.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)