Providing Python scripting to a Python application

Gonçalo Rodrigues op73418 at mail.telepac.pt
Fri Dec 27 07:52:35 EST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:46:47 GMT, "Satheesh Babu"
<vattekkat.babu at verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm writing a Python app at the moment. I've several Python functions in a
>library that I look into by introspection to let users create a "script" -
>nothing more than a series of function calls with GUI to edit parameter
>values and order of calling.
>
>At the moment, I store this "script" in a Python class and then execute it
>by eval()-uating functions. What I would love to do is to add normal
>Python constructs like if-else, for, while etc.
>
>Anyone have any pointers to things on the web that I can look into for
>making a applications in which macros can be written using Python?
>
>Background: This is primarily a Windows app, though it should be portable
>'coz it uses wxPython. At the moment, target audience is people who find
>using MS-Word difficult - hence the GUI circus to add functions and edit
>parameters. Atleast for Windows, I'll need to package it using py2exe so
>that it installs like a "normal  Windows app" :-)
>
>What it does is to expose a library to users through GUI so that they can
>create scripts that run on batches of files, without help from programmers
>all the time.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>S Babu
>http://vsbabu.org/

Check out the exec statement. Basically it goes as:

exec <code> in <globals>

where <code> is a string (Python code) or a code object, and <globals>
is a dictionary that will serve as the global namespace in which the cod
will be run.

All the best,
G. Rodrigues