Python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Dec 29 21:17:44 EST 2002

Roy Smith wrote:

> From the point of veiw of "Will it make me a better programmer in the
> long run?", the answer is "Yes, you should learn Python".

But his question was really about learning programming in the context of
being an IT security expert.  In that context, beyond basic programming
concepts, I don't think Python will be of much specific help.  Consider
the number of buffer overrun exploits that exist in Python programs :-).

To the original poster:  Becoming familiar with C, and the dangers of
sloppy C programming and how these can be exploited by potential
intruders, will probably be of much more direct application to your
chosen career shift.

Python is a great programming language, and if you want to do
programming for its own sake, I'd recommend it.

/  \ Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
\__/ Friedrich Nietzsche
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.