Python's popularity statistics

Anand B Pillai abpillai at lycos.com
Mon Dec 16 04:59:38 EST 2002

Aaron K. Johnson <akjmicro at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<at8t68$h36$1 at bob.news.rcn.net>...

> In message <mailman.1039651694.24189.python-list at python.org>, Cliff Wells wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:49, Aaron K.Johnson wrote:
> > > For all who are interested, I wrote a couple of python scripts that helpe=
> > > extract newsgroup activity from the comp.lang.* hierarchy, and this can b=
>  e a
> > > rough guide to the popularity and usage of the big programming languages.
> >
> > <advocate name=3D"devil">
> >
> > Or it could be taken as a measurement of the relative difficulty of a
> > language: more activity =3D more questions ;)
> >
> > </advocate>
>
> I forgot to mention that not only would that NOT explain python being near the
> top, but it WOULD explain perl being up there!!!
>

> So, I don't know---you may be right....
>
> Or maybe its-python is fun and people like sharing stuff, and perl sucks and
> people ask questions to not bang their heads against Larry Wall's 'walls'

  I totally agree. Coding in Python is like a walk along the beach on
a balmy evening with your girlfriend whereas coding in Perl for me
(whenever I tried) is   something like trying to teach your
mother-in-law driving :-)

 I think Python is the best first language around for newbies who
start learning
Computer Science. During my graduate days it was Pascal, which was
replaced by C
later on but right now it should be Python.

> -Aaron.

Anand B Pillai