Boa Constructor under Linux... How to make it work?

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 13 11:59:12 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 21:02, Jean-Luc Bedwani wrote:
> Hi, I am using Boa under windows since a while and does work pretty well.
> Now I am trying to have it work under Linux.
>
> My Linux setup is as follow:
>
> Redhat 8.0
> Python 2.2.2
> wxPython(GTK) 3.3.1
> Boa Constructor from CVS (0.1.4)
>
> When running the application Boa as well as with the Demo of wxPython I got
> the following warning message:
>
> wxWindows warning: Widget styles disabled due to buggy GTK theme.

This is because of BlueCurve, which, like many other GTK+ themes doesn't
allow things like setting the foreground color of widgets.  It isn't
fatal, just annoying.

> Then when running, most of the text fields in the application shown squares
> instead of characters. This cause the Boa tool to be useless since this
> affects the source code display...

wxPython is a GTK1 app and doesn't understand the localization strings
provided by GTK2.  Try running Boa using a command like

env LANG='C' python Boa.py

and you should see everything okay.  You'll find this is true for most
programs written using wxWindows/wxPython.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)