web server options

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Thu Dec 26 18:16:52 EST 2002

"Paul Rubin" <phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com> wrote in message
news:7xk7hwmoem.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> writes:
> > The things that I need are, (1) the ability to run on the above
hardware,
> > (2) the ability to serve via python scripts, and (3) the ability to run
2
> > distinct servers (i.e. www.foo.com and www.bar.com), both on port 80, on
the
> > same hardware (the server is behind a NAT box, and I am not sure what
sort
> > of complications this will bring to this one).
>
> If you mean you want to run two separate servers on the same port on
> the same IP address, sorry, you can't do that.
>
> If you mean you want the same server to respond to hits on both
> www.foo.com and www.bar.com, that's called a virtual host and most
> reasonable servers can do it now.  You set up www.foo.com and
> www.bar.com to have the same IP address and the server distinguishes
> them based on the Host header that all recent browsers send.

I think we're saying the same thing here, that is, requests to www.foo.com
will be served from /usr/www/foo and bar.com from /usr/www/bar, but being
served form the same running web server.

> I advise adding some more memory to that box (you said you had just 48MB)
> for the stuff you want to run.

I agree except that this is from the land of EDO, and my experience from a
few years ago was that buying it is not worth doing, though finding it in an
old broken computer may be.

-d