Python and ONC RPC anyone?

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 1 04:47:10 EST 2002

Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer at conectiva.com> writes:

> I belive ILU also would do the job, but it's probably an overkill,
> depending on what what he wants to do.
>
> I've read a message from you in some documentation about it. Have you
> evaluated it? If yes, how do you compare it to CORBA (e.g. omniORB)
> these days?

I like ILU very much, especially as it is plain C (so it compiles
relatively fast, compared to omniORB).

Unfortunately, it is no longer maintained, so I can't recommend to use
it anymore. Comparing it "to CORBA" seems inadequate to me: ILU *is*
CORBA (even though Bill Janssen claims that this is not the case). ILU
implements the CORBA Python language mapping, just like omniORB and
Fnorb. It also supports a number of other wire protocols, such as ONC
RPC, but I have never used these much (except for the ILU "native"
protocol).

In any case, for CORBA, I'd recommend to use omniORB if you need speed
and Fnorb if you need ease of deployment.

Regards,
Martin