Global variables

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Tue Dec 10 12:20:01 EST 2002

Richard Pasco wrote:

> "Richard Pasco" <richardpasco at quintessa.org> wrote in message
> news:%LoJ9.2972$9R.10589195 at newsr2.u-net.net...
> > As a relative newbie to programming in general I know what local and
> global
> > variables are, but I can't seem to get local ones back into my main
> program.
> > What exactly does the return function do? Does it "push" the variable into
> > my main program? And then how can I get them into another function without
> > making them global?
> >
> Something like this...
>
> def func():
>     f = 3*5
>     return f
> func()
> print f

the 'return f' statement ends the execution in the function.  control
is returned to the caller.  The caller is "func()" where "()" marks the
call.  To attach a name to that returned object, do

  ret = func()

you can then pass the 'ret' object on to another function.

  another_ret = another_func(ret, another_param)

looking into python tutorials may give you a lot more
insight and ideas for usage:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

HTH,

    holger