Microsoft Access Database connecting from Python through ODBC

Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul at mailandnews.com
Sun Dec 8 07:22:58 EST 2002

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 22:42:52 -0500, "Jeremie" <jivesojer at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have tried something similiar but it didn't work.Henrik mentioned that I
>had to show add a line that pointed to the SYSTEM.MDW file (Microsoft Access
>Security File). But I think the ODBC driver should handle that I mean that
>is the whole purpose I thought. I am going to try the way you formatted it.
>Thanks for the suggestion.
>Jeremie

The problems you have are strange and could be explained if you are
trying to access an user DSN under a multiuser system such as Win2k or
XP (NT 5.1). If such is the case, delete the present DSN and create it
again as a system DSN (you need to be logged in as Administrator or as
a user in the Administrators group, the default in Win2K Pro, not sure
about XP).

BTW, when you create an ODBC DSN to a Jet/ISAM database (Access
database) with the administration control panel (under any version of
MS Windows), initially there is no access rights database assigned to
it and the system assumes that the user is Admin, with an empty
password. This usually works because Access creates all elements in a
database as owned by the Admin user by default. You have to assign
ownership to other users explicitly (after adding them to system.mdw
or a private security database).