Switch from perl to python?

Pekka Niiranen krissepu at vip.fi
Sat Dec 14 07:48:58 EST 2002

Hi Erik,

I would consider switching to ANSI Common LISP
or Scheme instead. In both cases you will end up reading
the code indented anyway (.i.e ignoring parens).

I have done several projects with Python myself and
in each eventually faced the same limitation:
In order to get the performance, C -extensions were needed.
The current libraries are not really comprehensive enough, either.

Now that I have gone thru Paul Graham's
excellent "ABCI Common LISP" -book
I see Lisp code all over in Python's buildin
functions and libraries. And concepts like Closures
and Macros.. Wow...

If you read carefully Guido's own notes,
he has spoken about Python's Scheme -roots himself, too.
I like that kind of honesty over hype.

-pekka-