12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Dec 3 23:17:59 EST 2002

In article <m29quuc6qjvvr1arhcb21ncfu0f7dd3c4i at 4ax.com>, Manuel M Garcia wrote:

> 3. Python is high-quality: While it's matured for over a decade now,
> its developmental philosophy is so conservative it only recently
> reached version 2.2.

That's a bit silly.  How high version numbers get depends entirely on how
the developers like to increment the numbers and little to do with any
objective or subjective measure of quality or stability.

One project I remember used only integers.  The first snapshot was version
was 1, the next one was 2, the next one was 3, etc.  They got up to 100+
before they shipped.  Other software has been shipping for years and has had
almost as many releases, and isn't at 1 yet (e.g. 0.9.x.y).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Okay... I'm going
                                  at               home to write the "I HATE