USing XML in Python...

Uche Ogbuji uche at ogbuji.net
Sat Dec 28 03:51:32 EST 2002

First of all, to those who recommended the Drake and Jones book Python
& XML, I strongly agree.  Thios is a very good book with very
instructive examples.  There are some gotchas, mostly relating to the
book's having been out for a while.  I dedicated my recent Python&XML
article

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html

to updates and comments on this book, complete with updated code
samples *which have been tested on recent releases of the relevant
software packages.

See also the other articles in my Python & XML column:

http://www.xml.com/pub/q/pyxml

> >See http://uche.ogbuji.net:8080/uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/pyxml/

Yes, though I prefer to point people to

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/pyxml/

(which gets redirected to the above) because it's a shorter URL.

> >I've found a lot of help there.  Also, the author of those pages -- one
> >of the creators of 4Suite -- has some good tutorials on alphaworks.  See
> >http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/28BEDEE3E7219EB386256AE300743B69?OpenDocument
> >for the first tutorial, on PyXML (I think there are 4 tutorials total).

Thanks for the plug.  There are 4 so far: on DOM, XSLT/XPath, RDF, and
XUpdate/XInclude/XPointer.  The fifth and last in the series, on the
4SUite repository, should be out on Monday.

I write a lot on Python and XML (among other topics).  You can find an
overall index of my articles here:

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/pubs/

To narrow it down a bit, you can scroll down a bit on the following
page, where there's a listing only of articles with "Python" in the
RDF keywords.

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/python/

> >Hope this helps...
>
> Also <URL: http://gnosis.cx/publish/tech_index_xm.html >.
> It rather distresses me that no one appears to have taken
> the trouble yet to index all the XML-Python resources in
> a convenient and unified way.

This is also a part of my intent in the Akara

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/pyxml/

In each topic, I try to offer all the relevant links I can find.  I am
grateful for e-mail filling in stuff I'm missing.  As an example,
based on this comment I added
http://gnosis.cx/publish/tech_index_xm.html to

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/pyxml/info/

Cameron, if you sketch out an organization principle, or on-line
example of the sort of arrangement you'd like for such a site, I can
try to write a script to auto-gen something similar from just the
links contained in Akara items.

Thanks to all for their comments.

--Uche
http://uche.ogbuji.net