Accessing distutils version from program

Simon simon.12.ghum at spamgourmet.com
Sat Dec 21 15:55:38 EST 2002

In distutils there is the possibilitie to define a version

  setup (name = "foobar"
         version = "1.1",
         description = "Modules to foo bars and bar foos",

         py_modules = ['foobar.foo', 'foobar.bar'],
         options = { 'build': { 'build_base': 'blib' } })

py2exe is an extension to distutils.

I would like to be able to access the number of "version" from the module
"foobar"

That is...
  an "about" function in my programm should print out the version I
define in distutils.

Objective:
  not to have "double" version information.

Is ist possible?
How?