Newbie: Subtracting Dates

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Dec 8 02:45:17 EST 2002

Web: Try the Calendar FAQ http://www.tondering.dk/claus/calendar.html

>         There's a whole book on the subject (I think it may be in a second
> edition by now).
>
>         Calendrical Calculations
>         Nachum Dershowitz & Edward M. Reingold
>         1997 Cambridge University Press

Yes; called the Millenium Edition. Good historical stuff, well
written. All the algorithms are shown in Lisp which may present a
problem for those not familiar with that language. Some of the basic
engine-room functions (e.g. gregorian-from-fixed) are written in
expository fashion and are gloriously inefficient under some
definitions of efficiency.

Another good book:
Mapping Time -- The Calendar and its History
E.G. Richards
OUP 1998
ISBN 0-19-286205-7