Python's popularity statistics

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 15:49:11 EST 2002

For all who are interested, I wrote a couple of python scripts that helped
extract newsgroup activity from the comp.lang.* hierarchy, and this can be a
rough guide to the popularity and usage of the big programming languages.

On a pragmatic note, I wrote this scripts in under a hour. I challenge
advocates of another language other than Python to beat the ease with which
this can be done. (esp. languages with weak real world libs like Lisp!)

Note the admirable position on the Python at the top of the heap! IMO it should
knock Perl down a notch, but Perl has a strong unix traditional community.

-Aaron.

	Popularity List of Computer Languages
java 26953
c++ 19913