Arguments for using Python

Duncan Smith buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 25 15:31:54 EST 2002

Hello all,
             I've been developing some prototype software for a government
organisation.  It is almost entirely in Python.  But it now (after I've done
most of the work) appears that they would prefer it to be written in Java or
C.  Most of the guys in the organisation use C, but it's not the fact that
they don't know Python that is really the problem.  They are very 'security
conscious' and don't install new software on their network without good
reason.  I can think of a few 'good' reasons, like 'I don't know much C (or
any Java)'; 'the code will bloat'; 'Python's more readable / maintainable';
'I really need OOP and I don't get that with C' etc.  But I need to put
together a document to convince them that installing Python on their network
is 'safe' (and a generally good idea in any case).  I'll do the usual
googling, but if anyone has any compelling reasons / examples that would
help my case, they'd be much appreciated.  Maybe there's an argument in the
fact that Python is Open Source and the core is written in a language of
which they already approve?  BTW, I make heavy use of Numeric and gmpy.  Any
ideas welcome.  Cheers.

Duncan