Is there a bright future for open software projects?

GerritM gmuller at worldonline.nl
Sun Dec 1 16:20:25 EST 2002

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler at news.Lairds.org> schreef in bericht
news:rn5qb-221.ln1 at news.lairds.org...
> [followup to my own post]
>
> Ah!  I found the quote I mentioned.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/01/04/university_open_source/print.ht
ml

<...snip...>

> Am I the only one who reads "they would surely have licensed
> the protocols, sold the rights to a corporation and collected a
> royalty for the U.C. Regents on Internet usage years into the
> future" as "they would surely have killed it"?
>
> --kyler

yes I agree. I have seen more IP issues preempt applications or products,
due to the fact that no critical mass can be obtained.

regards Gerrit

--
www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/