Arguments for using Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Dec 29 23:44:30 EST 2002

Manuel M. Garcia <mgarcia at cole-switches.com> writes:

> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 20:31:54 -0000, "Duncan Smith"
> >Hello all,
> >             I've been developing some prototype software for a government
> >organisation.  It is almost entirely in Python.  But it now (after I've done
> >most of the work) appears that they would prefer it to be written in Java or
> >C.
> Also, look into Jython.  Since it runs entirely in the Java virtual
> machine, it inheirits all of Java's security benefits.  Also, it
> integrates nicely in Java, you have access to all Java objects and
> third-party packages, and you can write critial parts of your code
> directly in Java for a speed boost.

Second that. You can probably convince them to install Jython by
pointing out how they can play with their Java objects in an
interactive environment with Jython. It makes an excellent tool for
understanding how objects behave.

If they're willing to pay you to convert it to Java, you can use
Jython to replace the classes one at a time, running your unit tests
after each step to verify that everything is still working
properly.

        <mike