Using Python for business app development

John Taylor john_taylor_1973 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 11:41:08 EST 2002

krbolton at bellsouth.net (Joe Bolton) wrote in message news:<e0659434.0212221300.57f24cdd at posting.google.com>...
> My Technology company is currently evaluating Python for use as a
> x-platform dev tool for developing business apps (GUI and/or Web based
> accounting type apps). We have developed for years on proprietary type
> systems (mainly IBM AS/400's) & some win apps using MS/VB. We have
> researched python for about 2 months and we are impressed with what we
> have found. There does not to seem to be alot of accounting type
> applications avaliable that were developed with python. Is there a
> reason(?) since it appears to have the capability. We are looking at
> pyQT and/or wxPython for the GUI dev, Zope(& 3rd party tools) for web
> dev, and postgreSQL for relational db. Also looking for some modeling
> tools compatible with python. Any comments or advice from experienced
> developers is appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Joe

You should probably check out the book entitled "Python, Programming
on Win32" by Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson.  In this book, they write
a sample application that happens to be an accounting application.  It
does not use a database, but does use a GUI ( which one escapes me ).

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/ is the URL for the book,
and you can download the examples, which may include the accounting
application.

As for GUI, I would suggest PyQT if you can afford it.  Last time I
checked, it was $1500 for the most recent version of the Qt library.
Looking at the docs, this version seems to be a big improvement over
their free win32 version they offer.  WxPython's documentation is not
very good, but their mailing list is.  I found it easier to work with
PyQT, but YMMV.

Good Luck,
John