12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Dec 5 19:27:26 EST 2002

Greg Ewing wrote:

> Hmmm. I wonder if there's some generalisation of the
> notion of monotonicity when you're dealing with a
> tree rather than a linear sequence?

Yeah, I deliberately kind of glossed over that, and presumed we'd use
some reasonable mapping of version numbers to real numbers in such a way
that they'd have a well-ordering in the "way you'd expect" (how's that
for mathematical rigor), even in spite of multiple dots (even perhaps
more than 2 as in x.y.z.w).  (It's not hard to construct one, of course,
which is why I glossed over it.)

/  \ A father is a thousand schoolmasters.
\__/ Louis Nizer
    Bosskey.net: Aliens vs. Predator 2 / http://www.bosskey.net/avp2/
 A personal guide to Aliens vs. Predator 2.