Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Dec 3 12:56:47 EST 2002

Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> writes:

> Yep (C-c |).
>
> Once you've got used to it, you'll also find that comint is much
> more powerful and useable than the readline facilities python
> provides

Yes, but I wrote pyrepl...

> (searching backward for the last line with same beginning (with
> M-C-p) is e.g. something I wouldn't want to miss).

Maybe I could get used to that.

> Similarly, quick searches through *output* are extremely valuable to
> me.

That's easy enough in Terminal.app, though again it's not something
I've noticed missing.

> You can also have your history saved and loaded automatically. The
> only thing that interactive python offers over emacs's py-shell is
> completion

*Major* minus points.  I wouldn't want to miss completions.

> (but M-/ normally does the trick and if it doesn't you
> can have a look at ipython, for which I wrote an ipython.el that
> includes an experimental hack for tab-completion).

But ipython.el doesn't complete import statements does it? :)

(smiley because a large chunk of the discussion about ipython.el
landed in my inbox for some reason).

Perhaps I should install ipython.el and try again.

Multiline editing a la pyrepl would surely be nice, but I don't
*think* you can get comint do that (can you?).

Cheers,
M.

--
  The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste.
              -- Steve Jobs, (From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)