Building Python 2.2.2 with Aqua TCL/TK on OS X

Russell E. Owen no at spam.invalid
Wed Dec 18 14:23:53 EST 2002

In article <3e5aa16c.0212171313.421263ec at posting.google.com>,
 google at utahvalleymusic.com (Weston Cann) wrote:

>I am building (as the title suggests, or trying to anyway) Python
>2.2.2 with Aqua TCL/TK and tkinter on Mac OS X (10.1.5)... I think
>I've got the Dec 2001 Dev Tools (gcc-932.1/2.95.2)...

I've put detailed instructions for building Python 2.2.2 with aqua Tk
support on *Jaguar* at<http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen>. The
question is what you'd need to do differently in 10.1, and I suspect the
answer is "nothing" except perhaps in building readlines. If that fails
then try an installing readlines 4.2; I think it builds on 10.1 with no
changes.

On 10.2 I did not have to mess with Tk at all -- it just built perfectly
right out of the box. There is also a binary installer available now,
but I have no idea if there's a binary for 10.1. Building from source is
so simple that there's not much point to worrying about it.

I also agree with Skip Montanaro that you may be better off going with
the 2.3a0 CVS snapshot. I've not tried it myself.

I also suggest upgrading to 10.2, as most installers these days (and
most binaries) are being updated to work with that. I have one Mac on
10.1.5 (that I'd really like to update), on on 10.2.1 and one on 10.2.2
and they all seem to be working fine.

Best of luck!

-- Russell