embedded trasactions in postgreSQL with python?

Ken McCracken aa175 at torfree.net
Tue Dec 3 14:03:54 EST 2002

There is some open source software our community network (Toronto
Free-Net)  is interested in implementing... if it supports postgresql
rather than the current oracle-only implementation. The Compiere.org team
was working on it but got stuck at the point of supporting postgresql
embedded transactions. I was wondering if the quote from their web page
concerning this issue posted Dec 2, "The best choice is to convert
Compiere to using Container Managed Persistency (CMP)"  is really true, or
if perhaps there is a more or less prefab way to accomplish this in python
and postgresql. Compiere is one of the top 10 downloads at sourceforge so
there would be quite a few people (including me) who would be thankful for
(and would donate towards)  a solution.

Ken

http://www.compiere.org/technology/independence.html

Database Independence

There is quite some talk about database independence - it seems everyone
wants it.

We tried to port Compiere to PostgreSQL, but got stuck at the end.
Compiere is using embedded transactions, which are mainly supported by
databases like DB/2 or Oracle.

The best choice is to convert Compiere to using Container Managed
Persistency (CMP) and handle all transaction management within Java. This
is NOT simple and we teamed up with The JBoss Group to achieve this. The
conversion requires highly experienced and dedicated (i.e. paid)
resources.

So, our question is: Is there a real need? Compiere is for free. A 10 user
Oracle license is included in the ComPiere support package starting with
$1,800/year - far less than the costs of any comparable solution.

The deal is: If you guys help funding the initial conversion, we will
maintain it. As you know, maintenance costs are about 80% of the total
effort. An alternative to cash is to work here in our office for at least
one month as an intern.

Make a donation (not tax deductible as charity, but you can get an
invoice) to help funding the initial conversion. The non-refundable amount
will be split 80:20 between ComPiere and The JBoss Group.

List of Commitments - Total so far: $75