alternate to sunfreeware.com?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 6 18:27:16 EST 2002

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Sorry for the off-topic post - this is my best source of info related
> building software.
>
> I've been handed a SPARC Ultra-10 and am trying to get stuff installed
> on
> it, eventually Python.  Bootstrapping a compiler is a problem, because
> it
> doesn't really come with a usable compiler.  I tried gcc.gnu.org which
> pointed me to www.sunfreeware.com as a source of a binary GCC
> distribution.
> Alas, that site looks like it's down and has been for a couple days.

I myself haven't been using sunfreeware.com (mostly because as I'm
installing things on my Ultra 5 I'm keeping in mind the possibility of
NFS mounting what I've been placing in /usr/local in the future should I
build up a network).

Do you have the Solaris install disks?  With Solaris 8 (and I presume 9,
though I haven't checked), there's an "additional stuff" disc that
includes gcc, as well as a bunch of GNU utilities; it puts them all
under /opt/sfw.  When I get a new machine, I tend to wipe it and
reinstall the operating system from scratch anyway.  If you don't have
the media, you can buy the full installation media from sun.com.

I _think_ you can download it for free as well, or at least could at one
point (I'm not really sure if that's true anymore).  I preferred to have
the physical media anyway in case of emergencies.

/  \ Did you ever love somebody / Did you ever really care
\__/ Cassandra Wilson
    Crank Dot Net / http://www.crank.net/
 Cranks, crackpots, kooks, & loons on the Net.