Unit test examples

Greg Brunet gbrunet at nospamsempersoft.com
Sun Dec 22 02:06:05 EST 2002

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.  I've downloaded Dive Into
Python & have started looking at that & I'm trying to get a copy of the
draft TDDBE.  It's valuable to see how things are done on a small scale
so that I'm not overwhelmed trying to understand new things, and can
learn to be more Pythonic in my thinking.

One thing that I'm wondering about though, is how to handle larger
systems - especially complex GUI applications.  The last app I developed
had a main screen with about 20 fields on the main form plus 4 tabs with
an additional 30 fields.  These all were loaded/saved to database tables
(with multiple parent-child relationships), about 10 of the fields had
combobox lookups into other tables, and there were a couple of grid
controls dynamically populated based on information entered in some of
the key fields in the form.  Of course the application has a bunch of
other forms to maintain other tables in the system, menu choices to kick
off processes, etc.  When an application grows very large, and there are
a lot of interdependencies between all of the controls on a form, how do
you handle testing all of the combinations/permutations?  It seems even
more overwhelming than programming it!  Thanks again,

--
Greg