Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Mon Dec 2 05:41:06 EST 2002

maney at pobox.com wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I am close! I have asked twice here what folks use to do Python, and I
>>have yet to get one solitary answer. That is /really/ strange. Anyway,
>>what IDE /do/ you use?
>

> None.  I use any of several different editors (none of which are emacs
> or vi, for I am agnostic: I dislike both of them).  Well, unless you
> consider the set of xterm, browser, etc. windows I have open as a
> home-grown, constantly changing to suit the shifting requirements, IDE.
> Aside from abusing "integrated", it's fairly applicable.  :-)

Well, but that's an important point. I can't imagine that you can do
serious programming in any programming language without a certain set of
tools. (Of course, you can write throwaway programs with pico + a
compiler/interpreter, but I am talking about programs that are
considerably larger in size.)

So in the case of Lisp, a Lisp-aware editor is an important element in
its set of tools for serious programming. So what? (And again: It
doesn't have to be emacs or vi!)

What would you think of the following statements?

"One of xxx's lethal failings is that anyone not using Unix (or
something like Unix) is a second class citizen. The decision to require
a programmer to use a special operating system is a fatal one."

"One of xxx's lethal failings is that anyone not using xterm (or
something like xterm) is a second class citizen. The decision to require
a programmer to use a special shell is a fatal one."

"One of xxx's lethal failings is that anyone not using a debugger (or
something like a debugger) is a second class citizen. The decision to
require a programmer to use a special debugger is a fatal one."

"One of xxx's lethal failings is that anyone not using a web browser (or
something like a web browser) is a second class citizen. The decision to
require a programmer to use a special browser is a fatal one."

...and so on, and so on... ;-)

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza at web.de        Institute of Computer Science III