Connect to the list's newsgroup!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 23 01:44:03 EST 2002

"Travis Beaty" <t.beaty at mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Hello, all!
>
> I've been trying to connect to the list via the newsgroup, but I'm
> having trouble getting netscape to find the server I need to tap
into.
>  Could someone please be so kind as to let me know where the server
is

For Usenet newsgroups like c.l.p., there is no such thing as *the*
server.  There are at least three  possibilities for you.

1. Most ISPs provide a 'free' newsserver as part of their service
either by running one themselves or by contracting with an independent
news site.  So check first with your ISP.  Example: Comcast has
contract with giganews.com to provide clients with news (up to
gigabyte/month download).

2. Some independent news sites only or also sell services to
individuals.  Example: Giganews also directly sells unlimited accounts
to individuals.  So do other sites that you should be able to find
thru search service such as google.

3. groups.google.com provides a http webbrowser interface to
newsgroups.  We are
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&&group=comp.lang.python

Terry J. Reedy