Python's popularity statistics

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Dec 12 17:01:14 EST 2002

In article <atajsu$5aq$1 at bob.news.rcn.net>,
Aaron K. Johnson  <akjmicro at yahoo.com> wrote:
			.
>> I think that languages with static typing and dynamic typing belong to
>> different categories. I wouldn't use Python or any language
>> with dynamic typing for really serious and critical tasks,
>> like writing software for the rocket Ariane, or for banks,
>> where on launching the rocket you could get run-time errors
>> which would never pass compile phase of languages with static typing.
>
>Interesting, though, is that NASA uses python all the time. I don't know
>whether it's for critical stuff though.
			.
			.
			.
NASA is only one of several organizations which employ
languages such as Python, Tcl, Rexx, ... in (soft)
real-time control of multi-million-dollar vehicles.
"Static typing" is ... well, it's a more complex issue
than naive observers believe.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net