What do you think about a spreadsheet with python/tkinter ?

Olivier Ravard ravard at univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Dec 6 08:40:22 EST 2002

Hi everybody,

I developped a spreadsheet with Python/Tkinter based on Tktable.
Why did I do this ?  because my needs where :
- to create instances of the spreadsheet and "packing" it in a toplevel
        or a frame,
- to have all (most) of the functionalities of a standard spreadsheet,
- ploting curves,
- inserting or geting data from a python script,
- a totaly modifiable look and feel,
- mutli os (Windows and Linux)
- a tool very light.

I had a look to existing products (like wxGrid with WxPython) but I
didn't find any code which answer all my requests...

I decided to develop my own product based on Tktable and wrapping its
functions for python and adding functionalities to interpret formulas.
There is now a first release.

I will probably give this code to make a free software (with sourforge
for example), but I need your reactions before about this...

Is there someone interested to contribute for the development ?

Thank you for all your remarks.

O.R.