12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 6 18:20:11 EST 2002

"Gonçalo Rodrigues" wrote:

> Sorry for nitpicking, but assuming ZFC *every* nonempty set can be
> well-ordered. The question is, as always, if that order relation is
> useful for anything. It is hard to imagine such a well order in the
> complex numbers, though...

If you read carefully, you'll note that I _was_ saying that an ordering
(of version numbers) was possible.  I was just countering Tim's
mentioning of Python's comparability of tuples (and other sequence
types) by pointing out that in standard mathematics, ordered tuples
(even of the same length) do not have an order defined among them.

Obviously Python defines such an ordering, and it's _possible_ to define
such an ordering, but there isn't one by default, which was emblematic
of the mathematically rigorous point I was trying to get across.

/  \ Did you ever love somebody / Did you ever really care
\__/ Cassandra Wilson
    Crank Dot Net / http://www.crank.net/
 Cranks, crackpots, kooks, & loons on the Net.