12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 5 16:02:08 EST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 11:58, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> Greg Ewing fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 04 December
> 2002
>
> 06:03 pm:
> > That's still monotonic. ("Monotonic" doesn't mean
> > "regular", it just means "always going in the same
> > direction".)
>
>         "Monotonic" is, itself, a hard term to pin down...

True, but the mathematical definitions are precise, and can be had
in many texts or websites (so, I'll skip it here).

I always thought the best verbal definition of a monotonic
function/sequence was simply "either non-increasing or
non-decreasing", with perhaps the assumption that it isn't merely
constant.

Whereas "strictly monotonic", means "either always increasing or
always decreasing".

So, Greg's definition is fine, although I'd say that he was
actually giving the definition for "strictly monotonic" (since I
interpret direction to not allow the lack of a direction)

--
Bay Area Python Interest Group - http://www.baypiggies.net/

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov