filtering (signal processing)

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 28 19:44:36 EST 2002

I need to do some low pass filtering of Numeric arrays, and the simple
convolutions I am doing with exponential or sinc functions are not
getting the job done.  I would like to design some more sophisticated
filters with faster rolloffs, and am looking for a good python package
compatible with Numeric arrays.

I found signaltools on pylab.sf.net, but the package hasn't been
updated in a few years and the build instructions don't work for me
with python 2.2 (see below).

I am wondering if there is a more current library in the works, or if
someone can suggest an alternative route.

Thanks
John Hunter

BTW: the build instructions for signal tools say

INSTALLATION

To install, copy Makefile.pre.in from your python installation
directory
(mine is /usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in) to this directory.

Type
make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
make

I found Makefile.pre.in the python src tree, but it doesn't like the
'boot' arg.