Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Sun Dec 22 08:45:49 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1040533770.24149.python-list at python.org>,
Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> wrote:
>It is probably not a good idea to judge real programming communities
>by usenet newsgroups that refer to the same language.  This is because
>when the places become hostile and nasty, the really decent people
>leave, saying 'this is a waste of my valuable time, and besides it
>hurts too much'.  Then new people do not join, because they have better
>things to do as well, even if it is taking them a heck of a lot longer
>to do them because they don't have anybody to answer their questions.

   Presented as a totally different data point, there's my
experience as a novice Scheme programmer in comp.lang.scheme.
The people were great; even my inane post was handled with
courtesy and good-will.  The problem was that the whole
newsgroup was dedicated to replacing Scheme with a new
language called Dylan.  No help to me at all, so I went
away.  I still wish them well over there, whatever they're
doing.

        Regards.        Mel.