Locking and try/finally

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Dec 4 00:40:57 EST 2002

xtian wrote:

> It seemed to me that, given the reference counting basis of Python GC,
> a class with a __del__ method would behave roughly the same:

This is a bad idea.  Since __del__ is really a finalizer method, you've
no guarantee when (or even in some cases if) it'll be called.  You
shouldn't rely on it being called in a timely manner in portable code,
particularly when relinquishing resources is involved.

/  \ I never vote for anyone.  I always vote against.
\__/ W.C. Fields
    Blackgirl International / http://www.blackgirl.org/
 The Internet resource for black women.