Python "byte code" description

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Dec 7 13:30:10 EST 2002

In article <7h3y971iyja.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>, Michael Hudson wrote:

>> IMO, a more interesting (from a geek/CS POV) project would be somebody who
>> wants to write a compiler for a different language that generates bytecode
>> that would be executed by they Python VM and inter-operate with "Python"
>> bytecode.
>
> OK, that's something I hadn't thought of.  Such a task doesn't sound like
> fun, for a bunch of reasons.

Fun is subjective. ;)

>> One of the big strengths of Python is the library.  If you generated Python
>> bytecodes and used the same calling interface, then you could impliment a
>> new language that could also take advantage of the existing libraries.
>
> Yeah, but you can do that already through the C API, shurely?

I suppose, but then you'd have to have two virtual machines running, one for
the new language and one for Python libs, with C-language glue in-between.

> [...]
>> Perhaps somebody wants to impliment a hardware-assisted interpreter.  It's
>> been done for JVM.  If PVM isn't defined/stable, then doing HW accelleration
>> is going to be a bit difficult.
>
> I think it's going to be pretty hard in all circumstances.  But you make a
> valid point I hadn't thought of.

It would certainly be hard, but having undefined VM makes it even harder.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It's a lot of fun
                                  at               being alive... I wonder if