bug(?) in 2.2.2, or...

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 6 02:34:32 EST 2002

Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts.net> writes:

> I did this by using ./configure --suffix=2 which does seem like it
> should work properly. It does seem, to me, like the only "easy" way to
> build a python2, but maybe this is where I need the advice.
[...]
> I don't know if these count as real bugs or not, I just thought I
> would report One Man's Experience with the Make.

It is a bug, but not one that is likely to be fixed (unless a patch is
contributed) - the suffix configure feature is only used to attach
.exe in Python.

Instead, to install a python2 binary, configure normally, then make
altinstall (see README). Afterwards, manually cp/ln python2.2 to
python2.

HTH,
Martin