Unloading a dll

CheckAbdoul checkabdoul at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 17:22:35 EST 2002

    Run the HandleEx utility from www.sysinternals.com to figure out why the
OS says the file is still in use.

--
Cheers
Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ]
-----------------------------------

"Jive Dadson" <dsdfdsadfas at isdfssdfasdf.invalid> wrote in message
news:3DFF9F37.E598A57A at isdfssdfasdf.invalid...
> This is a question about debugging a DLL under VC++ 6.0, Windows 2000.
I've got a problem.

> The program that uses the DLL links to it dynamically.  It doesn't "know"
of the DLL's existence before the user does something at runtime.  I want to
put the DLL in a place that is well known to the program, not in directory
Debug or Release in my project folder.  (For those familiar with the Python
programmingl system, the DLL is a Python extension module.  The Python
engine "finds out" about the DLL when it executes the instruction "import
my_stuff" or whatever.)

> After implementing some feature or making a change, I run the program that
links with the DLL, test a bit, then when I'm ready to code some more on the
DLL, I kill the program.  Click, click, click, hack, hack, hack, and then
.... I compile a new DLL and try to put it in the directory where the
programs know where to find it.  I can't do that.  I get a message from the
OS saying the file is in use.  In my heart, I know it's not, but argument is
pointless.

> When you set up a VC++ DLL project with a "Executable for debug session"
that "knows" about the DLL in the Release or Debug directory, there is no
problem.  I am guessing that the IDE has some way of telling the OS that the
DLL in the Debug or Release directoy is not in use before building the new
one.  I don't know how to do that.