shot in the dark | RH 7.3 | python & up2date

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Fri Dec 6 10:18:24 EST 2002

As another poster alluded to, normally 1.5.x and 2.x are installed
together, running "python" runs 1.5.x and running "python2" runs
python 2.2.x. I'm running Rh7.3 as well.

First to get your system back using the org. 1.5.x,
you should be able to install the orginal rpm of 1.5.x from cd or
download the rpm. (I don't know about
the up2date) Then upgrade the 2.x rpm's that's already on the
system or "install" the 2.x rpm version.

Now, the stock Rh7.3 python 2.x is something like 2.1, so if
you want to upgrade, get the Rh7.3 rpm's from python.org
something like 2.2.x.

Ah, and you thought you where done..........

Now, on to the problems with upgrading the stock Rh rpm's.
When I upgraded the stock rpm's 2.1.x to 2.2.x it caused
several problems with installed  python programs.
Here's a couple that I remember
off the top of my head, "redhat-config-users", "pygtk".
To fix these was no big thing, download the "source" rpm's
for the packages giving you trouble and rebuild/compile the
rpm's on your system and force "upgrade" them.
rebuilding the source rpm's will use the current libs on your
system and force "upgrade" will allow you to reinstall the
same version of the rpm and keep any config files for that rpm.

This is why my favorite saying for linux has become.....
"I now know more about it, then I ever cared to."