Using Python for business app development

David Rushby woodsplitter at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 26 12:13:11 EST 2002

"Cameron Laird" <claird at lairds.com> wrote in message
news:v0lvl550mq3occ at corp.supernews.com...
> At least a couple contributors to this thread have denigrated
> MySQL's capabilities.  While my own background includes far
> more experience with PostgreSQL, and I'm accustomed to dismissing
> MySQL as rather a toy, it's come a long way through the years.
> The latest releases, for example, include good transactional
> features.  Therefore I ask those who have disparaged MySQL what
> specific deficiencies they see.

  It certainly has come a long way, just not long enough for me.

The technical problems with MySQL 4.0 include lack of:
- subselects
- stored procedures
- triggers
- foreign keys (available with InnoDB tables, but with metadata limitations:
"In the near future we will extend the FOREIGN KEY implementation so that
the information will be saved in the table specification file and may be
retrieved by mysqldump and ODBC.")

For me, these limitations are not merely abstract; I actually use all of the
listed features.

There's no doubt that MySQL's rate of improvement has been rapid.  Let's
suppose that by 4.3 all of the technical limitations listed above will have
been fixed.  What then of the legal (from
http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html )?
"""
If your application is not licensed under GPL or compatible OSI license
approved by MySQL AB and you intend to distribute MySQL software (be that
internally or externally), you must first obtain a commercial license to the
MySQL software in question.
"""