'Intellisense' possible for Python?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 18 19:49:18 EST 2002

Greg Brunet fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 18 December 2002
01:25 pm:

> Coming from a VB background where the IDE allows you to view &
> auto-complete all of the properties & methods of an object, it's
> disappointing not to have it - at least in the IDE's I've looked into
> so
> far.  While I get this kind of behavior for modules in PythonWin
> (automatically) and Boa Constructor (by pressing Ctrl-Space), it
> doesn't
> work for variables.  Is this even possible, given that Python doesn't
> declare it's variable?  Does anyone know of an IDE that supports it?

        VB is pretty much statically-typed (stuff that hasn't been
pre-declared is a "variant").

        Python doesn't lock things that way. It is even possible to rebind a
function "name" to a different function:

def x2(x):
        return x*x

def x3(x):
        return x*x*x

theFunc = x2

if arg == "square":
        theFunc = x2
else:
        theFunc = x3

print theFunc(32)       #you don't know which function "theFunc" IS at this
point