Will Open Source Java and PHP5 slowdown or stop the adoption of Python?

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at attbi.com
Wed Dec 11 13:31:19 EST 2002

jorgerpo at hotmail.com (Jorge Restrepo) wrote in message news:<d4ca177d.0212101038.69bee156 at posting.google.com>...
> Hello
> I wonder if the planned specs of php version 5, which will make it
> more object oriented, and a web front end to J2EE apps:

[deleted]
> and the approval of Sun for an Open Source Java:

[deleted]

> Will slow down or even stop the adoption of Python for Web
> applications?
>
> What do you think??

I don't think the main reasons for preferring python over Java include
its open-source nature, although lack of that would be a significant
problem.  I think python is innately superior to Java for many
applications, and I think people are realizing that.

I think there's a growing sense that Java will be pre-eminent in
certain niches, but that it's just not going to make it as an
all-purpose language for end-user programs.  The standard GUI just has
too many problems, it doesn't play well with other languages, etc.

I, at least, started to use Python as a better shell script (and just
imagine trying to do that with java :).  Then I discovered how easy it
was to write powerful stuff in python, about the same time I was
getting really frustrated with java, and that's all it took.