os.link & NTFS 5

DP pennedinil at excite.com
Thu Dec 26 08:47:48 EST 2002

[Not sure if my previous post made it, so reposting]

I'm looking for the equivalent of os.link and os.symlink for Python/WinXP
(i.e., NTFS 5). These functions seem to be available only on Python/UNIX.
They're also available on Python/Cygwin.I haven't found anything similar to
this for Win32 platforms.

I'm copying source files to directories named as
TARGET\data_val_a\data_val_b\* as well as TARGET\data_val_b\data_val_a\*.
data_val_{a|b} are values parsed from the files being copied. I'd prefer to
save the two copies of files as links to preserve disk space and ease file
management.

I also need a means of manipulating file permissions and properties from
within Python. What's the best way of going about this? Again, I just don't
know enough.

Another application is font management. With Windows, Cygwin, XFree,
ghostscript (Cygwin & Win32), Adobe products, GNUWin32 tools, MikTex, Latex
for Cygwin, etc. all creating their own font directories, managing the font
files is turning out to be extremely difficult. I'd rather have these saved
as a single copy linked into the other directories.

Obviously there are other applications.

Thanks in advance.

Dinil.

If possible, please forward a copy of responses to pennedinil @ excite.com.
I don't have access to a news server, so I'm only able to view responses
from 6 to 10 hours after they're posted.