opening a text document to show a .txt file through a browser link

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Dec 29 21:10:02 EST 2002

Nico Schuyt wrote:

> Disagree with that. A HTML page is a set of command lines. When sent
> to the
> interpreter, the browser, the result is shown on the screen.

Is applying markup to, say, a Word document (specifying that a paragraph
goes here, this line should be italicized, this word should be in bold)
"programming"?  If you call pure HTML writing "programming," then it
should, but it should be clear that if you agree then we've diluted the
meaning of the word to uselessness.

This all discounts use of JavaScript, Java, or, say, Curl, in Web
content, which of course _does_ involve programming.  Pure HTML is
simply markup, no different from applying italics or designating
paragraphs in a word processor.

/  \ Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
\__/ Friedrich Nietzsche
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.